- Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan in a food processor and process until finely chopped. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin steady stream until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- If you don’t have a food processor, a mortar and pestle can also be used.
- Pesto can be placed in an airtight container and placed in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- For a nut-free alternative, use sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts
- For a vegan alternative, substitute parmesan cheese for a non-dairy cheese
- Toss pesto through pasta
- Use as a pizza sauce base, mix into salads, top or toss with vegetables and spread it on sandwiches instead of butter.